Sept 22-24, 2017~Kouchibouguac Fall StarFest
Kouchibouguac National Park
(between Moncton and Miramichi on the Northumberland Strait)
“New Brunswick’s dark sky ocean paradise and one of the most magical astronomy parks in North America” – Skynews.ca
Some facts about Kouchibouguac National Park~
- Pronounced (koochi-boog-wac), means ‘River of Long Tides’ in the Mi’kmaq Indian language
- Protected area of 238 sq. km (58,811 sq. acres)
- Over 25 km of shifting sand dunes
- Due to currents, the Northumberland Strait has warmest beaches north of Virginia (such as Parlee beach in Shediac)
- Diversity of salt marshes, peat bogs, freshwater systems, Acadian woodland and sandy beaches
- Rich tapestry of biological and plant life, including marine life
- In the centre of Acadian and Mi’kmaq Culture
- Hiking and cycling trails, wheelchair to easy (HikingNB lists 23)
- One of Canada’s Dark Sky Preserves as recognized by the RASC
Maps (click to view)~
Clicking on maps opens in pdf. Above: Parks Canada Map
How to reserve a campsite or check things out~
Clicking on the map above will take you to the Reservation Site for Loop 3 of the South Kouchibouguac Campground (where the Star Party is usually held near Site 194). Excellent serviced sites. Below, Loop 1 and 2 , mainly unserviced sites. Maps have a lot of info.
How to Attend~
If you do not have a telescope~ Just show up, or book your camping weekend if you want to be at the campground during the StarFest.
Activities usually take place near Site 194, South Kouchibouguac Campground.
If you do have a telescope~ Campsite reservations in the astronomers’ area will be available from RASC.NB.
Location~ South Kouchibouguac Campground, near Site 194
RASC.NB~ Kouchibouguac Fall StarFest
Facebook Event~ will post when available.
General Park Information~
Telephone: (Toll-free)~ 888-773-8888, (Office)~ 506-876-2443
Address: Kouchibouguac National Park, 186 Route 117,
New Brunswick, Canada E4X 2P1
Email~ Kouchilbouguac National Park
Parks Canada Website Tourism New Brunswick Website
More Info~ HikingNB Trails Lists Trip Advisor
Rates: Free for 2017
Dates: Open Year-Round
Kouchibouguac Fall StarFest 2017 Information~
We will post the links here from RASC.NB once the information becomes available about campsite reservations in the astronomers’ area.
Other Star Parties in New Brunswick~